Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Church Foretold

The Church Foretold: Old Testament Passages


Christ Will Build a House:

II Samuel 7: 12-14: “I will raise up your heir after you, sprung from your loins, and I will make his kingdom firm. It is he who shall build a house for my name. And I will make his royal throne firm forever. I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me.”


All Nations Will Come to Her for Knowledge:

Isaiah 2:2-3: “In days to come, The mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established as the highest mountain and raised above the hills. All nations shall stream toward it; many peoples shall come and say: "Come, let us climb the LORD'S mountain, to the house of the God of Jacob, That he may instruct us in his ways, and we may walk in his paths." For from Zion shall go forth instruction, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.”


All Peoples Will Feed Off of Her:

Daniel 4:7-9: “I saw a tree of great height at the center of the world. It was large and strong, with its top touching the heavens, and it could be seen to the ends of the earth. Its leaves were beautiful and its fruit abundant, providing food for all. Under it the wild beasts found shade, in its branches the birds of the air nested; all men ate of it.


The New Church Will Have An Altar For All Peoples:

Isaiah 56:6-7: “And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, ministering to him, Loving the name of the LORD, and becoming his servants - All who keep the Sabbath free from profanation and hold to my covenant; them I will bring to my holy mountain and make joyful in my house of prayer; Their holocausts and sacrifices will be acceptable on my altar, For my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.”


Church as Bride of Christ:

Isaiah: 62: 4-5: “No more shall men call you ‘Forsaken,’ or your land ‘Desolate,’ But you shall be called ‘My Delight,’ and your land ‘Espoused.’ For the LORD delights in you, and makes your land his spouse. As a young man marries a virgin, your Builder shall marry you; And as a bridegroom rejoices in his bride so shall your God rejoice in you.”


New Baptism, New hearts, Higher Morality:

Ezekiel 36: 25-27: “I will sprinkle clean water upon you to cleanse you from all your impurities, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. I will give you a new heart and place a new spirit within you, taking from your bodies your stony hearts and giving you natural hearts. I will put my spirit within you and make you live by my statutes, careful to observe my decrees.”


A Clean Oblation: The Eucharistic Sacrifice

Malachi 1:11: “For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.”


The Lord Himself Will Shepherd: Through Bishops

Ezekiel 34:11-12 “For thus says the Lord GOD: I myself will look after and tend my sheep. As a shepherd tends his flock when he finds himself among his scattered sheep, so will I tend my sheep. I will rescue them from every place where they were scattered when it was cloudy and dark.”


Son Inherits the Nations:


Psalm 2:7-8: “I will proclaim the decree of the LORD, he said to me, ‘You are my son; today I have begotten you. Ask it of me, and I will give you the nations as your inheritance, and, as your possession, the ends of the earth.’”


Eternal Sonship and Priesthood:

Psalm 110: 3-4 “In holy splendor before the daystar, like dew I begot you. The LORD has sworn and will not waver: ‘You are a priest forever in the manner of Melchizedek.’”