Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Struggle to be Last

"The man who finds fault with himself accepts all things cheerfully – misfortune, loss, disgrace, dishonor and any other kind of adversity. He believes that he is deserving of all these things and nothing can disturb him. No one could be more at peace than this man."

-St. Dorotheus, Abbot



The recently canonized St. Jose Escriva provided a list of several indications that pride lurks unnoticed in our hearts. As our Lord said, whoever is first will be last and whoever is last will be first.

The glory of a worldly person is to be remembered and highly esteemed by others, that is- to be “someone!” The glory of the Saint, on the other hand, is to be counted worthy only in God’s eyes and to be considered of little account by the world.

As much as this quest for humility runs counter to our natural instincts, it, nevertheless, provides the foundation for a carefree and courageous spirit. The person who is truly humble can agree with his or her critics and then move on with life without batting an eye. In fact, humility allows us to laugh at ourselves and not take ourselves too seriously. Indeed, it is the anecdote to the serious world we live in and it is the balance against the kind of narcissism engendered by today’s entertainment industry.

Here is an excerpt from Conversations with Monsignor Escriva de Balaguer, 1972. Some of the indications that we struggle with pride are as follows:

1. Thinking that what you do or say is better than what others do or say
2. Giving your opinion without being asked for it, when charity does not demand it
3. Despising the point of view of others
4. Not being aware that all the gifts and qualities you have are on loan
5. Not acknowledging that you are unworthy of all honor or esteem
6. Mentioning yourself as an example in conversation
7. Speaking badly about yourself, so that they may form a good opinion of you…
8. Making excuses when rebuked
9. Hearing praise with satisfaction & being glad that others have spoken well of you
10. Being hurt that others are held in greater esteem than you
11. Refusing to carry out menial tasks
12. Seeking or wanting to be singled out
13. Letting drop words of self-praise in conversation, or words that might show your honesty, your wit or skill, your professional prestige
14. Being ashamed of not having certain possessions

A prayer that might help with our pride is, The Litany of Humility by Cardinal Merry de Val, Secretary of State to Pope St. Pius X. It is often found to be repugnant to our human nature precisely because it takes direct aim at many of its vices.

O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, Hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being loved, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, O Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I go unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.